Kenneth Bellamy – Head Softball Coach

Kenneth Bellamy joined the USC Salkehatchie family as the new women’s softball coach earlier this month. Bellamy is a Salkehatchie graduate, having been an athlete here himself. Bellamy has years of experience coaching travel softball, high school softball and women’s basketball. He also has experience coaching at the college level as both an assistant coach and head coach.

Bellamy recently took the time to answer a few questions about his plans for the USC Salkehatchie softball program.

• What is your philosophy of coaching? My philosophy in coaching is all about guiding the student-athlete to a better future on and off the field.  Grades are very important to me and I want the student-athlete to succeed in the classroom.  However, on the field performance is key to having a successful program.  My team will work hard on the field.  I want to bring a Region X championship to Salkehatchie.
  •  Why should players want to play at USC Salkehatchie? Players should want to come to Salk for our outstanding softball program and our academics.  Here at Salk, they will receive one-on-one time on the field and in the classroom.  Salk is a great place to start a college career.
  •   What are your short-term and long-term goals for Salkehatchie? As far as short-term goals, I want to have a winning season, have at least half the team with a 3.0 GPA or better, have some of the girls make all-region and set the foundation for a successful program.  Long-term goals include renovating the softball complex,  developing a Region X championship team  and sending every student-athlete to a four year program.
  • What is your experience with both softball and with coaching? I have coached travel softball for eight years and coached two years at the high school level.  I also have coached two years as assistant baseball coach and eight months as interim head baseball coach at the NCAA Division II level.  Coaching is a passion of mine and knowing that I can help student-athletes reach their ultimate goals in college makes my job worth while
  •  What do you think is the ideal student-athlete? The ideal student-athlete is someone who cares about her studies and her team – one who will work extra hard at both to succeed.  Also, she is very respectful to her professors, coaches and teammates.  Another key attribute is community service – giving back.